Wednesday, January 26, 2011

"Healthy" vs. "Diet"

I feel like I fall into the same traps as every "dieter".  I do really well for a while, then completely fall of the wagon, then burn it.  I've also come to realize that "diet" and "healthy" don't necessarily mean the same thing. 

I've been using Weight Watchers off and on since 2003.  It's worked really well for me in the past, but I always fall off.  While I do understand that tracking what you eat is the best way to lose weight, I find it tedious.  I have 2 kids to chase after, and a 4 bedroom house to (attempt) to keep clean.  I have awesome intentions, but then days will go by without me logging my food, and I forget that "little cracker here" and "that little piece of cheese there".  Then I wonder why I didn't lose any weight that week. 

Another issue is that while some things may be OK for the wieght watchers plan, they aren't exactly "healthy".  For instance, my meals on Monday (I had stroller group for MOMS Club at the mall, so at least I got some excercise) consisted of:

Breakfast-I was going to eat a Clif bar, and forgot it.  :(  So my breakfast was 2 cups (well, my cups are more like 2, so 4 cups, 1/2 strentgh though) of coffee.  Oh, and don't forget the creamer and 2% milk.  FAIL

Lunch-3/4 Chic-fil-a grilled chicken wrap.  Not too bad you say? Well, I then had 1 french fry, the apples left over from Rose's fruit cup, and a meduim caffeine free diet coke.  So, here's my main example of "diet" vs. "healthy".  While a diet coke may be 0 point on WW, it's SO not healthy.  So why did I get it?  I really don't know.  Habit I guess??? BARELY PASS

Dinner-I started my photography class (another blog post...), and I started to make dinner then realized I didn't have a key ingredient (poor planning, can we say "meal plan"???), so dinner didn't happen.  Instead I had a bowl of Cinnamon Life.  Then in class I had that Clif bar I mentioned I forgot earlier.  Then when I got home I had another bowl of cereal.  How's that for healthy?  Not a vegetable in sight.  Dear Lord, please don't let my kids inherit my eating habits...  But I think I would have made my WW points for the day (IF I had logged them...).  FAIL

While I know I'm not supposed to be so hard on myself, failing meals and all, I feel I need that as part of my reality check.  Out with the old, in with the new.  The new MUST be healthier, not just less calories.  I really want to focus on eating more organic, whole foods.  More fruits and veggies.  Less processed foods.  Less chemicals. 

Yesterday and today have been much better.  Although I still struggle with that breakfast thing.  I'm just not a morning eater.  I think I was before I discovered the CRACK that is coffee and peppermint mocha creamer.  It's an addiction.  Kris is addicted to pepsi, I'm addicted to coffee.  I guess it's a caffeine thing (although as stated before, it's half-caf).  I DID go to the gym today (thank you to my amazing hubby for watching the munchkins! xoxo).  Decent workout, 60 mins on bike then some stretching.  I need to just get over myself and do a class.  Though I do need to make arrangements to not be able to walk the next day! 

Well, enough babbling.  Bed is calling.  I can only hope that Gracie has as good a sleep tonight as she had last night.  7pm to 8am with no feedings!  Amazing.........  I promise I'll post some pix soon, I know y'all need a reward for suffering through all my babbling!!!  ;)

C

1 comment:

Robin said...

While desperately trying to eat healthier this year, my hubby and I have noticed that apples at the grocery store tend to be the same price as the pre-sliced, pre-bagged, organic sliced apples at Costco. Oh yes, healthy AND handy. Hard to find a reason not to do that. I bring them to work, even out in the field if I'm working outside for the day. I've also found English cucumbers at Costco - thin skins, about the size of a pickle, small cucumbers. Also great for snacking.

I have to use mind tricks to make myself drink water though. I just don't like it. But I've found that if I just stick a straw in the glass, I'll drink more of it, faster. So, if I have to play games, then that's what I'll do.